From face masks, body oils, hair oils, bread spreads, and food dips; Avocado is a nutrient-packed and extremely versatile superfood. You would think with the above-mentioned application and even more, the fruit has gotten to its limit of application. But Avocado is not done with us as its leaf and seed are also nutrient-packed and have found use in having a holistic outlook to health and vitality. It turns out that avocado leaves have numerous health benefits we can access when we brew them in a tea.
The avocado (Persea americana), a tree likely originating from south-central Mexico, is classified as a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae. The fruit of the plant also called an avocado (or avocado pear or alligator pear), is botanically a large berry containing a single large seed. Avocados are cultivated in tropical and Mediterranean climates of many countries, with Mexico as the leading producer of avocados in 2019, supplying 32% of the world total.
The fruit of domestic varieties has buttery flesh when ripe. Depending on the variety, avocados have green, brown, purplish, or black skin when ripe, and maybe pear-shaped, egg-shaped, or spherical. Commercially, the fruits are picked while immature and ripened after harvesting.
The leaves from the avocado tree are commonly used as a fresh or dried seasoning in food dishes prepared in Central Mexico. They are used in meat dishes, soups, and stews, providing a somewhat bitter flavor with an anise-tasting overtone. The avocado leaf is also used as a garnish for appetizers, salads, and other food dishes. The leaf's slightly bitter taste adds flavor to various Mexican dishes like simmered meats and soups.¹
A holistic approach to health looks at all aspects of health and wellness. Seeking to acquire ideal health for the entire body, holistic health definition would include a balanced approach of equipping the mind, body, and spirit using a healthy approach to life and living.²
Health Benefits of Avocado Leaf Tea
- Immune Boost: Avocados are known to be high in antioxidants, but avocado leaves have even higher concentrations than the fruit. Avocado leaves have a compound called quercetin as well as polyphenols which are powerful antioxidants that remove free radicals from your body. Free radicals are the product of naturally occurring degeneration in our bodies as a result of oxygenation. Antioxidants slow or even prevent this process from occurring, keeping our bodies healthier.
- Gut Health Support: As mentioned previously, avocado leaves contain flavonoids, saponins, and also tannins. These compounds play a role in balancing the acidity of the stomach. Adequate fiber as well contained in the leaves promotes regular bowel movements, which are crucial for the daily excretion of toxins through the bile and stool. While Limonene has a great effect on gut health.
- Heart Support: The antioxidants in avocado leaves can also help relax blood vessels. While this won’t bring down your LDL, or “bad cholesterol,” it can maintain healthy blood functions. The presence of polyphenols also helps to boost heart health and functions.
- Boosts Mental Alertness: Avocado Leaf contains Pinene. Pinene is known to increase mental focus and energy. Researchers have noted that avocado leaf extract works to improve the transmission of GABA, a calming neurotransmitter.³
- Healthy Blood Sugar Support: Avocado leaf is rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals. These compounds help in the healthy breakdown of glucose as well as prevent the buildup and accumulation of unhealthy levels of blood sugar. They also help in the burning of unhealthy fat stored in several parts of the body.
- Calm Support: Avocado leaf contains serotonin, known to help produce healthy sleeping patterns as well as boost your mood. Studies show that serotonin levels can have an effect on mood and behavior, and the chemical is commonly linked to feeling good and living longer. The phytochemical compounds in avocado leaves instill relaxation and calmness in many parts of the body and mind.
Herbal Goodness Avocado leaf liquid extract made from fresh, Non-GMO organic leaves is handpicked with the greatest care and attention to preserve its nutritional qualities. Containing a lot of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, and dietary fiber, Herbal Goodness Avocado leaf tea boosts heart health and promotes general wellness.
How to make tea with Herbal Goodness Avocado leaf
- Prepare your herbal tea, any of your choice and then add a few drops of our Avocado leaf liquid extract in and stir. Our Avocado leaf liquid extract can also be incorporated in your smoothies, greens drink, fruit juices and water.
- www.recipes.fandom.com/wiki/Avocado_leaf. Avocado leaf. Accessed on August 15, 2021
- www.modernholistichealth.com/what-is-holistic-health-definition.What is Holistic Health Definition? Accessed on August 15, 2021
- www.turkeygazette.com/avocado-leaves-and-seeds-benefits-and-side-effects. Avocado leaves and seeds benefits and side effects. Accessed on August 15, 2021
- www.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/food-news/have-you-tried-avocado-tea-yet/articleshow/69009570.cms. Have you tried Avocado tea yet? Accessed on April 23, 2019