In case you haven’t noticed it by now, we are crazy about papaya. Absolutely in love. If the orange-colored flesh (with cute detailing) is not tempting enough, the scent is to die for (we promise, it’s nothing like durian!). And ah, the taste. A soft butter-like consistency you just can’t get enough of.
Christopher Columbus must have been right when he called this the fruit of the angels because the taste is just…heavenly.
This also happens to be one of the most versatile fruits you can have at your disposal, presenting you with a wonderful set of ways to enjoy it: on its own, like a papaya popsicle, papaya smoothie, papaya sorbet, papaya boat, papaya bread, papaya soup, papaya dessert…the list is endless. Here are a few papaya ideas to try out.
But our love for papaya is beyond skin-deep.
This tropical fruit is crammed with nutritional benefits that can enhance the wellbeing of just about anyone – from babies, to women, to men, the elderly; everyone!
- Papaya is the highest source of papain and chromopapain, two enzymes which stimulate digestion. They are particularly good at breaking down protein from the food we eat. They are also the reason papaya is popularly used as a meat tenderizer the world over.
- It is a rich source of fiber, the papaya, and this has seen it widely used to cleanse the gastrointestinal tract as well as rid the body of digestive problems.
- Papaya has been used since the ancient times as an anti-inflammatory agent, a practice that is still observed even to this day.
- The fruit is a vitamin powerhouse, containing many essential B-complex vitamins. For example, thiamin (vitamin B-1), riboflavin (vitamin B-2), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and folic acid. These vitamins all play a vital role in our metabolism.
- Papaya is also an excellent source of essential nutrients such as lutein, beta-carotene, lycopene, cryptoxanthin and zea-xanthin, powerful antioxidants which bring untold benefit including being anti-aging wonders.
- High amounts of carotenoids present in papaya make it a great food to boost eye health – yup, just like carrots!
- It makes for a great natural skin conditioner, thanks to its abundance of vitamin A and enzyme papain which help to nourish the skin. Papaya-honey mask is especially great natural skin care that rejuvenates the skin. You will also find papaya being used as one of the agents in many topical creams.
- Its copious amounts of vitamins, minerals and enzymes also make papaya a great natural conditioner for hair, making it softer and smoother. It is also said to promote hair growth and keep dandruff at bay, hence why you will find it in some shampoos.
- Despite the sweetness, papaya is an excellent food for diabetics thanks to its low natural sugar levels which help to keep insulin levels stable.
- Women use papaya to ease menstrual cramps as well as promote regular flow during that time of the month.
- It is high in nutritional value and low in calories thus making it a great food for anyone contending with weight issues.
These benefits just go to show that nutritious food doesn’t have to be boring; it can taste great too!
Wait, there is something else
At Herbal Papaya, we have been producing papaya products for quite a while now, so it is fair to say that we know a thing or two about the superfruit. What strikes you most about papaya is that virtually every part of the plant – fruit, seeds, peel, flower, leaf, stem, latex and root – are all considered to have nutritional benefits.
The fruit comes with the added bonus of being available virtually every month of the year, with early summer and fall being peak season in the United States. Despite the abundance, getting access to ripe, organic and chemical-free papaya fruit can be a challenge. Huge challenge.
Of course, you will rarely fail to find the papaya on the produce aisle of your grocer, but can you always trust it is organic and non-GMO? No – most papaya you find on supermarket shelves is GMO, although you won’t find this indicated anywhere. Plus, how many times have you gone to the market and found fresh papaya leaves on sale? Not unless you live near a local farmer, no you will not!
These were some of the driving factors behind our development of the Herbal Papaya line of products: to make organic papaya produce devoid of chemicals available to consumers whenever they want it. For obvious reasons, availing fresh and natural papaya products to consumers every day of the year can be daunting – they are nothing like picking up eggs each morning!
This is why we make our products available in such forms as seed powder, liquid leaf extract, fruit powder etc. etc.
Do not misinterpret this to mean our products are chemically processed for lengthier shelf life and what-not. No. We strive to have them in their most natural state, so you can always count on 100% natural offering for every single product in the Herbal Papaya stable.
We also understand that as much as papaya fruit can be delicious enough to chow down for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (when it is available), we are human and it is bound to get boring and bland at some point. But with the different products we offer, you can always count on harnessing the benefits of this superfruit (or super plant rather) without consuming an insane amount of it day-in-day-out.
What’s more, this is the only guaranteed way even for those who – for one reason or another – may not rank papaya among their favorite list of fruits to enjoy its innumerable benefits.
Lastly, we cannot forget to mention the incredible way papaya has enabled us to impact the world during the course of our development of these products.
We believe in fair trade practices and reward our entire supply chain accordingly. We care about our environment and always aim for sustainability, using recycled materials where available. We also believe in giving back to the community, that is why we plow back 10% of our profits into supporting girl child education in Africa.
And of course, being a producer of edible products, we go above and beyond to deliver the highest possible quality products to you, our customer. You can read more about Our Story here.